Chateau Duhart-Milon – Pauillac 2017
Blended of 76% Cabernet Sauvignon and 24% Merlot, the 2017 Duhart-Milon is deep garnet-purple colored and comes tumbling freely out of the glass with open, expressive black plums, Black Forest cake and blueberry compote notes plus savory wafts of woodsmoke, beef drippings, black olives and cumin seed with an emerging touch of cassis. Medium-bodied, the palate is jam-packed with juicy black plum flavors and a plush texture, lifted by seamless freshness, finishing spicy.
Only 2 left in stock
In the early 18th century, the Pauillac district began widespread grape cultivation at the urging of the owners of Lafite. The Milon wines served as additional income for Lafite’s master, and became Chateau Lafite’s second wine. So early on, the soil was acknowledged as being of particularly high quality. Lafite’s owner at that time was the Marquis Nicolas-Alexandre de Segur, whom Louis XV referred to as “The Wine Prince.”
In 1815, the broker Guillaume Lawton was already talking about Mandavy-Milon from the Milon hills as a fourth growth Pauillac wine in the making. Between 1830 and 1840, the Casteja family was left an inheritance by both Mandavy and the Duhart widow (14 hectares). The family thus possessed a 40-hectare vineyard that was named Duhart-Milon. The oral tradition is that “Sieur Duhart” was the name of a privateer under Louis XV who settled in Pauillac on his retirement. The privateer’s house in the port of Pauillac existed up to the 1950’s, and inspired the label for the Duhart-Milon wines.
The 1855 classification recognized the quality of Duhart-Milon’s terroir by ranking it as the only 4th growth wine in Pauillac. The Casteja family remained in possession of the estate during the second half of the 19th century and the first part of the 20th century. Chateau Duhart-Milon was then one of largest Pauillac estates with around 50 hectares.
In 1937, the result of successive inheritances led to the sale of the estate. The property went through five different owners in just 25 years, and the splitting up of the vineyards caused a speedy decline, which was only made worse by the severe frost of 1956. The quality of the Chateau’s wines declined considerably until the Rothschild family purchased the property in 1962. Duhart-Milon then consisted of 110 hectares, of which only 17 hectares were vines. Major construction projects were then undertaken in the vineyarDecanter: draining, uprooting and replanting, the purchase of adjacent plots, and reintegrating the vineyard by trading plots. New cellar and vat rooms were installed in Pauillac. From 1973 to 2001 the vineyard increased from 42 ha to 71 ha.
Today, the new vines are all mature, and the renovation of the cellar adds a finishing touch to a remarkable 40-year effort that has restored Chateau Duhart-Milon to its Medoc 4th growth rank.
76% Cabernet Sauvignon and 24% Merlot
There are no reviews yet.