The origins of the noble house of Gassies in the Medoc go back to medieval times. The Lords of Gassies were considered knights, and owed allegiance to the owners of Chateau Margaux. Monsieur de Rauzan acquired the seigneury in 1661 and is responsible for establishing the reputation of its wine. The estate was divided into two parts in 1785. The name of one of these, Rauzan-Gassies, very much reflects its historic roots.
Since 1946, second growth Chateau Rauzan-Gassies has belonged to the Quie family, who also owns chateaux Croizet- Bages (a great growth of Pauillac) and Bel Orme Tronquoy de Lalande. Monsieur Paul Quie undertook a major renovation of the vineyard during the postwar period. This was finalised by his son, Jean-Michel, who took over management in 1968. Their passion for fine wine is very much in the tradition of the great growths of Bordeaux, and one of Jean-Michel Quie’s greatest pleasures is to share his wine with people who are dear to him.
There are no reviews yet.